What is the Sport’s Premium?
The PE and Sport’s Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of PE and sporting activities that they offer to children. The Government has provided this funding since 2013.
Recently the Government committed to funding the Primary School Sports Premium until 2020.
The premium must be spent on schools making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of P.E. physical activity and sport for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
This means school should:
- Develop or add to the PE and Sports activities that they already offer
- Make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
The funding comes directly into schools to improve the quality of sport and PE for all children.
Allocations for the academic year 2018-2019 were calculated using the numbers of pupils from Years 1-6. Schools receive £16,000 plus £10 per pupil.
Physical education is extremely important for us across the St Barnabas and St Helena’s C of E Federation. We recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of all our children. In addition it is considered that an innovative and varied PE Curriculum with extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude, mental health and academic achievement of all children.
Schools must publish information about the use of the premium on their websites by 31st July each year.
They must publish-
- The amount received
- A full break down of how it has been spent or how it will be spent
- What impact the school has seen on Pupil’s PE and sport participation and attainment
- How the improvements will be sustainable in the future
- What percentage of pupils within their year 6 cohort for academic year 2018-2019 can do each of the following: swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water based situations.
Our latest report can be viewed here.